Saturday, September 5, 2009

60 Seconds with Kristen Parker-Elliott

Name:  Kristin Parker-Elliott
Society member since:  2005
Age:  28
Interview Location:  Starbucks at 56th & Illinois
Lives near:   49th & Illinois


BRTS:
    So, Kristin, how long have you been a member of the Society?
Kristin:   I joined the Society back in 2005, after I broke up with Eric and moved out of his condo in Noblesville. My best friend Jenny O'Brien told me I should move to Broad Ripple, aka "Bars, Boys and Beyond"! When I first moved to Ripple, I met this total hunk from Geist and we started dating, but you know, I just knew he wasn't the "end all be all" for me. I mean, I almost ended up moving 20 miles east for him. He was nice and all, but he was obsessed with his lawn and anyway he got laid off from Lilly the next month so I guess it was fate.

BRTS:    So, you moved to the Village and found eternal happiness right away?
Kristin:  Well, it wasn't that easy, really. The TrixieMales were cute but at first I had a difficult time telling them apart.  I didn't want to jump into another relationship just so I would have a guy to show off and shut my Mom up.  There's this pressure, you know.  I dated around for 2 years before I finally met Tad Miller at the gym doing curls. He's a Purdue alum and I knew he was the one right away.  We got married in Maui last spring.
   
BRTS:    How has your Society membership helped you achieve your social goals in life?
BRTS:    Kristin?
Kristin:  Yeah, sorry. Uhh, what was the question again? Sorry, I thought I saw my best friend Melinda out the window over there with her new dog.  But I think her puppy is a chocolate lab, not that brown mutty-looking thing over there.
   
BRTS:    How has your Society membership helped you achieve your social goals in life?
Kristin:    Well, there's Tad for one.  Oh, I don't know. I think it's so empowering to finally realize that there are other girls out there that I can relate to, socially and demographically.  I'm not alone anymore, and that's really helped my confidence.  Once I realized I could step on toes and get away with nothing more than a smirky smile, it became much, much easier. I guess that's the same as everything in life... you do it once, and you can do it over and over. You kinda become a pro.
   
BRTS:    Well, that's a common thought among Society members. Where are you living now?
Kristin:   Brad and I just bought a new house over near the Food Emporium around 49th & Illinois, just down the block. There are lots of classic, really big houses over there. We couldn't afford anything like my Sunset Lane dream home, so we just got a two-story Tudor on one of those cute little side streets. I've been spending all my time and our money decorating over the past three months, and it's finally becoming such a cute place! I even learned to paint the walls myself! In fact, last week we held a cocktail party for Brad's boss. It was a big success and hopefully it'll keep him on the fast track!
    
   
BRTS:    Uhm, I thought you said your husband's name was Tad. Who is Brad?
Kristin:   Oh, his middle name is Bradley, so most of his beer buddies call him Brad. You see, he's a trader, so he comes home at about 3 o'clock and ends up drinking and chain smoking with his buddies at any one of the Northside Irish Pubs…. you know, places like Claddagh, Conners Pub or Union Jacks on Broad Ripple Ave.

BRTS:   That's good. Well, I was going to say, I admire you for hosting the cocktail hour you mentioned a minute ago. The Society always encourages Trixies to become friendly with each of their boyfriend or husband's managers and direct reports. It means so much in the long run for weaving intricate social connections into a web of trust, style and support!   
Kristin:    Yeah, I really think it's important to get to know your husband's boss. Trading is a cutthroat business with an uncertain future, and I think Tad knows how important it is to have someone special like me.  Image is important -- and he needs to come off as someone smart but down to earth.  That's why he bikes to work instead of taking our Land Rover Defender.  That's also what 90 minutes at Cardinal Fitness is for.  And with me at his side, no one will question whether Tad is repressed or bisexual. I have no problem with that, but it would be the kiss of death for him in the trading wars each morning.
   
BRTS:    I see you're back to calling your husband Tad. Which do you prefer anyhow?
Kristin:  Oh, whichever. I think they are both cute. Of course, Tad is a cooler name, but sometimes Tad himself says that by going by Brad, he can seem more like all of his buddies.  Blending in, that's what it's all about, right?
    
BRTS:    Right. So, right now you're 28, correct?
Kristin:  Yeah, I feel like I'm getting so old. But we've accomplished so much that I'm not really afraid of turning 30.  Though I really want to pop one out before then.
   
BRTS:    Pop one out?  Do you mean have a baby?
Kristin:  Yes, definitely. Everyone else has one of those things so why shouldn't we?  We've set aside the extra bedroom for a baby, and although Brad doesn't know it, I already had my Mom get my first SUV stroller from BabyBjorn online!  (Everyone back home in Louisville thinks it's a Go-Kart or a sulkie, ha ha!)
    
BRTS:    Well, Kristin, I think we should stop the interview now ... It's so good to hear another village success story.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment

THE BROAD RIPPLE TRIXIE SOCIETY

"Simply making the BEST of what we have"