Friday, January 12, 2007

Come Ride in my Jetta - the "Rough Area"


- by Amanda Brooks Baker

Last week, my boyfriend Mark and I went condo shopping together in the "hip" Monon Trail District, just north of our wonderful Village. After an hour's debate, we decided that we were willing to stray slightly north of the Strip in order to find less-expensive housing, and hoping that we could still live within a stone's throw of the Fresh Market on College Avenue (all the girls in the the village shop there). Mark and I hopped into my Jetta and zoomed off north on College toward Westfield Boulevard. Usually, when we're both in the car, and driving my Jetta versus his Lexus, he drives. But today, he wanted to jump out and pick up a Chai Tea at Hubbard & Cravens, so I drove. We stopped at Hubbard, and then Mark popped out with his cute college-educated grin at Einstein Bagels to get us some bialys.

As we approached our first stop, a quaint row of newly-built condominiums along the Monon near the Indy Arts Center, we quickly jetted into a nearby Gas Station on College to review the listing and the map. We decided to make our first stop a new construction duplex with polished concrete countertops and a Jacuzzi bath. As I powered up the Jetta and prepared to leave, I noticed this guy in a gigantic SUV has blocked us in. Apparently, I pulled the Jetta into a gas lane, and he was waiting to fill up. Well, that wasn't my fault, he'd just have to move. I leaned out the window and gave him a quick glance, and yelled out that we wanted to back up and leave.

He yelled back that I should move forward, that this was a through lane. No way, not in my book. There was a big white-trash station wagon right in front of me, and I was not going to wait for them to get their cigarettes and Skoal (or whatever they chew) from the Gas Station's store, and then wait for them to mosey on out. This guy was going to move...

I stuck my hand out the window and signaled that I was going to back up and yelled that he had better back up too. No Go. He sat there grinning at me. How dare he! I looked over at Mark, who was just sitting there. Good help he was in this time of dire need. I look back at the SUV-driving slug, and---can you believe this???---he had pulled out a a camera and started shooting pictures of me and my car through his window. Who knows what he might be planning to do with the pictures?? For all I know, he could be copying down my license plate with plans to vandalize my cute pre-War Meridian Kessler home! I was outraged! I looked over at my other hand, and realized that I was gripping my Starbucks cup so hard that it was beginning to crush. I yanked my hand out the window, looked back at this idiot, and gave him my meanest dirty glance coupled with the best finger I could muster. If he was going to take my picture, I was going to make sure he got me at my best!

After the finger and a few honks on the horn, the guy starts laughing uncontrollably and backs up. I race the Jetta's engine as I screech out of there. Needless to say, I decided at that moment to limit our condo search to the friendly confines of the Lower Village and steer clear of the "rough area" up near the Arts Center.

Good luck this week navigating your way around our lovely Village!

No comments:

Post a Comment

THE BROAD RIPPLE TRIXIE SOCIETY

"Simply making the BEST of what we have"